Wednesday, June 19, 2013

June 16, 2013. Father's Day and the holiday felt like nothing special. I feel like life is stretching out everyone I know. I touched the piano keys for the first time after two months and it did not feel at all like dancing pirouettes with my fingers. A lot of things do not feel at all like I have always thought they would feel. My priorities were mangled and tangled, college courses floated around in my head and my mom's nagging pushed me to my breaking point. There was a band playing the 60's, 70's and 80's. I watched old people pass me by at dinner with their heads bobbing to the beat, some groove in their strides, snaps ready at their fingertips. I felt the urge to belt my heart out when they played OH WHY DO YOU BUILD ME UP (BUILD ME UP!) BUTTERCUP BABY JUST TO LET ME DOWWWN.

So Father's Day. The holiday felt like nothing special but here: meet the father who curses like a sailor when he's angry, brews coffee that literally makes my heart skip a beat, brags about how good-looking he finds himself and meet the daughter who wishes he doesn't grow too old, who is sorry that she's not the type to give a lot of hugs and kisses, who hopes  he knows that she loves him.


No comments:

Post a Comment