Monday, June 10, 2013


June 10, 2013. Last first day of high school and I was almost late, following the trail of some familiar faces to  my new classroom and feeling like a lost puppy. I have to say, I didn't expect much and that's the best thing about today. No expectations and no false hopes to pull me under. I wasn't ready for senior year itself but I was ready to be overwhelmed, ready for the sinking feeling, ready for the constant tug of detachment I felt on most days, the previous year. I felt all of those during the first few hours. Those hallways were not where I wanted to be. It was too early for this. I only had three hours of sleep the night before.  I'm sorry for the fake smiles I threw your way. I was anything but happy, but things lightened up. I sat with the usual people during recess and it didn't feel at all like a new school year. Frances was right.

Classroom orientation ended and just like that, the last first day was over. I felt lightheaded and free for most of the afternoon. Frances, Anne Mary, Chryss, Princess and I headed over to the Korean mini mart for some lunch and afterwards, some gelato at the mall. There were spontaneous jeepney rides and loud laughter and conversations to remember. I had a good day. Everything was lovely.


G for graduating and for good riddance, too. 


No comments:

Post a Comment